[Talk-us] border screwup by Techlady needs reverting

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 08:26:32 GMT 2011

On 3/25/2011 4:17 AM, Toby Murray wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> User ToeBee has, in several changesets in February, aligned state borders to
>> exact lat/long. The problem is that this is not how the borders are defined;
>> instead they are based on work that the 19th century surveyors did with the
>> tools they had. Two obvious examples follow:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/158796015/history is the famous
>> "Four Corners":
>> http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705298412/Four-Corners-marker-212-miles-off-Too-late.html
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/158790476/history is the northwest
>> corner of Colorado, which is also marked by a large monument, visible on
>> aerials.
>
> I am not saying my edit was perfect. But the position of the nodes
> before my edit was even further off than it is now. The northwest node
> is now 10 meters straight south of the monument where it was over 1km
> east. The southwest node was off by 1km as well and is now about 400
> meters west.
You know, you're actually correct. TechLady screwed it up in the first
place; prior to her edits, it was right on the Four Corners monument. I
apologize for assigning all the blame to you.

So now the problem is worse: two people's edits need to be reverted. You
tried to fix it, so again I'm sorry for coming down on you.