[Talk-us] Cool ITO World US and Canada coverage

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Mar 26 15:37:30 GMT 2011

On 3/26/11 7:51 AM, Mike N wrote:
> On 3/26/2011 12:58 AM, Alan Mintz wrote:
>> Great tool for visualizing speed limits
>
>   The US convention of 'xx mph' has proved difficult for many map
> consumers.   I have bugged all the other "Speed Limit Visualizer"
> providers, but no one has come up with a functional speed limit
> visualizer in MPH until this one.    I'm trying to figure out the
> color scheme though.
there's a key button in the lower left corner.

>    At least I can use the display to plan video mapping to gather
> missing speed limit info.
>
>   As a side note: the speed limit in mph has confounded the Skobbler
> designers - possibly because their data is filtered via Cloudmade.
> There are many roads already fully tagged with maxspeed that get
> Mapdust reports of missing speed limits.

there are some visualizers that appear to have problems with speeds
where the last digit is not 0,
e.g. common speeds like 25 mph, 35 mph, 45 mph.

a helpful visualizer for the US would be one that flags speeds w/o a
units tag (kph
default). the mph option was added to the wiki in recent memory, and i
for one
tagged a lot of US roads with kph values before i became aware of the
update to the
maxspeed entry in the wiki. i switch them to mph as i see them, but
there are lots i
may not stumble over for a very long time, if ever.

richard