[Talk-us] access=no with exceptions

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 00:34:25 BST 2011

On 9/8/2011 6:19 PM, PJ Houser wrote:
> In Portland, Oregon, we have been tagging certain ways with access
> restrictions as access=no and then explicit exceptions, like psv=yes,
> foot=yes, bicycle=yes.
>
> In the wiki, for the access key, it states "Use the *access*=* key to
> describe a general access restriction that applies to all transport
> modes.Where different restrictions apply to different modes of transport
> then mode specific tags can be used."
>
> Here's an example of our work
>
> Is this an appropriate use of access=no or does access=no imply all
> transport modes are not allowed? We have been using access=no with
> specific mode exceptions as *=yes because it reduces the number of tags
> needed. What does everyone else think?

In this case, I'd say it's fine. Personally I'd use access=private
(since supervisors etc. are presumably allowed to drive their cars
there) and bus=yes (since psv includes taxis). I don't think it's
correct to give these ways a name.

On the other hand, I wouldn't expect to see a cycleway tagged access=no
bicycle=yes.