[Talk-us] What does the community want from a US local chapter?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Sep 30 20:07:19 BST 2011

Hi,

On 09/30/2011 08:36 PM, Mike N wrote:
>> Really? Are there people who say "I'd rather not map because there is no
>> consensus on the roads tagging"? Are those people the 20,000 missing
>> mappers in the US?
>
> It is more like "I don't see anyone using the map except for Skobbler,
> so why should I invest my time?" And what are the obstacles to usage?
> inconsistent tagging.

Yes,but are the only meaningful uses of the map really those that depend
on cross-state consistent road tagging? I find that hard to believe.

And even if it were so - it may be that Greece and Norway are different
countries, and they certainly have different authorities responsible for
road naming and design, but you can simply grab your car and go from
Greece to Norway without even having to show an ID to anybody - and yet
nobody in Greece has claimed that inconsistent road tagging within
Europe was an obstacle to usage.

> In the
> US, there may be minor differences from state to state, but we expect
> products to work seamlessly everywhere.

Maybe I am missing something but I feel that over here we have products
that work pretty well, in Greece and in Norway and everywhere in
between, and we certainly don't have a unified tagging scheme.

I think this is a strawman. There's tons of people who like to claim
that OSM cannot be used for something, and then suddenly someone comes
along and makes it work. There are those who sit back and wait until
someone finally provides the proper preconditions for them to go to
work, and there are those who pull up their sleeves and do the work anyway.

I think that it is always more important to make things easy for
mappers; users - and especially commercial users - should be our second
priority, not our first. Because they stand to make a profit from using
OSM, they can be expected to invest some time and brain power in finding
out how to make OSM usable for them (just as Skobbler did!) whereas we
mappers should just do what works well for us.

Of course this would require some self-discipline on the part of
mappers; nobody must run a bot to impose his personal tagging scheme on
the rest of the country.

Bye
Frederik