[Talk-us] Highway Shield Rendering

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Thu Apr 12 13:29:22 BST 2012

* Minh Nguyen <mxn at 1ec5.org> [2012-04-12 00:09 -0700]:
> Thanks for your attention to detail!

You're welcome.  :)

> By the way, four-digit circle shields appear to have broken over the
> last day or two.

Indeed they were.  It should be fixed now, pending a rerender.  (A few
days ago, I changed the shield generating mechanism from pregenerating
every shield and every known cluster (in every possible orientation) and
saving them in directories--to only pregenerating every individual shield
(which is still almost 45,000 images), storing them in the database, and
letting the database generate the clusters on demand.  With the old
system, we'd been cheating a little with the circle- and lozenge-style
shields by generating two sets of images (one with circles for all numbers
from 1 to 9999, and one with circles for 1 to 99 and lozenges for 100 to
9999) and then symlinking states to those as appropriate.  With the new
setup, we have to generate all the shields for each state individually and
I just didn't go high enough for Kentucky.  I've now generated shields for
Kentucky up to 3999, which should cover everything I see in the database.
Wikipedia lists 9006 and 9008, but it looks like those are unsigned
reference numbers for some of the parkways.)

--- --
You know you're really somebody in the software world when Richard
Stallman complains about you having a gratuitous patent
                       -- Source unknown