[Talk-us] User adding many Safeway grocery stores, with ref number in name

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:11:47 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Metcalf, Calvin (DOT)
<calvin.metcalf at state.ma.us> wrote:
>  as there is that brand tag,

There's an operator tag. I've not seen "brand" as a tag.

> than using that would seem the best way to convey that the building is a Safeway, name
> being Safeway #xxx means it's the name of that particular Safeway and could be useful to
> people who are looking at the map and then may want to look up the store on a website

OSM is meant as a general purpose datasource, so let's focus on the
average mapper's needs, rather than what someone might want in a
special cirumstance.

Even in the edge case provided above, though the ref tag is actually
more helpful here than the store number in the name as it provides
valuable metadata.

Therefore IMHO the tagging which best serves the needs of both the
users and the renderer and the rare person who needs the store number
is to forget name, and set

operator=Safeway
ref=XXXX

- Serge