[Talk-us] LA and other license changeover challenged areas.

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Jan 30 22:46:09 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan wrote
>
>>On 1/30/2012 7:05 AM, Nick Hocking wrote:
>
>>> Be carefull with intersecting road Cypress Avenue, we can't recover the
>>> cycleway tag unless you yourself have personal knowledge of this.
>
>>The bike lane markings can (barely) be seen on Bing aerials.
>

> Thanks for that Nathan,
>
> Google street view clearly shows these markings as "Bike Lane" with an
> arrow pointing ahead.  In all honesty I can't absolutely read this with
> Bing aerials but knowing what these markings look like and their
> position at the intersection, the Bing marking couldn't really be
> anything else, (or could they?) Corner of Alice Street is about the
> clearest one I can find.
>
> So what is the consensus, is the Bing imagery adequete for an armchair
> mapper to claim the cycle lane or could Google claim that I cheated.

I'd say knowing what they look like + Bing is sufficient if the road
markings are actually there (not only the lane separator linear
markings - that's too ambiguous). What I'm not sure of is whether bike
lane road markings are the same across the US (ie a stylized bicycle +
rider with an arrow point in the direction of bike traffic flow on
top).

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore