[Talk-us] Fwd: LA and other license changeover challenged areas.

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:34:50 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         After reading Martijn's most recent email, I decided to check my
> area of LA for potentially missing streets. I found that portions of West
> Olympic Boulevard, a MAJOR LA throroughfare, is among those on death row.
>         So, I made a few adjustments and changes to Olympic, fixing some
> alignments and adding info, such as number of lanes. Since I've signed the
> license, is that enough to preserve Olympic Blvd. from extinction?
>         Also, I am wondering why it's on death row in the first place, since
> it undoubtedly was brought in originally as part of a TIGER import.
> Shouldn't major streets like this be immune from deletion? In fact,
> shouldn't anything from a TIGER import be immune?

The problem is the TIGER import needed a lot of improvement. For
example, most TIGER roads are a single way, even for major dual
carriageway roads. This means that people have created new ways and
copied TIGER tags on to them to match the other carriageway. If the
person who did this is a decliner, then that way is on the chopping
block.

Another way that TIGER data gets tainted is way splitting. TIGER has
some very long single ways. People have split the ways to map things
like bridges, turning restrictions or route relations. When a way that
was originally from TIGER is split, one part will keep the old way ID
and be attributed back to the TIGER import. The other part will be a
new way and attributed to the person who split the way which might be
a decliner.

Now, especially in the case of way splitting I'm not sure how much
copyright can really be claimed. These are the kind of ways where I
tend to make sure there are no dirty nodes, improve geometry if
necessary and then add an odbl=clean tag. I have mostly been working
in rural areas where it is fairly obvious that nothing besides way
splitting was done by the decliner. In busy urban areas things might
be more complicated though...

Toby