[Talk-us] Remapping from TIGER 2011

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Mar 12 02:28:21 GMT 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> On 3/11/2012 6:48 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
>>
>>  I just wrote up a quick
>> blog post about it and would welcome any comments on the subject.

Great, thanks for sharing! I've added a link to the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Manual_conflation

>  Last year I did all the new subdivisions in my whole county using TIGER
> 2010 against the original import.   There were approximately 120 new
> subdivisions to add since then.   It was all a manual process.  I want to
> revisit Josh's handy new conflation plugin some more with this process in
> mind.

Do you find the new subdivisions manually as well?

Just a point of clarification regarding my conflation plugin [0];
currently it is geared towards finding 1-to-1 correspondences, such as
matching GNIS nodes to areas. It does not handle N-to-M
correspondences like you'll have with roads, and it doesn't take care
of topology issues. However there is another user working on a TIGER
conflation plugin which should handle these things, but I'm not sure
how far he is from having something usable. That being said, I am
sorely in need of getting feedback on the design of my conflation
plugin. :)

-Josh

[0]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/Conflation