[Talk-us] More TIGER importing

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Mar 15 00:49:10 GMT 2012

On 3/14/2012 11:44 AM, Alexander Jones wrote:
>>  I personally
>>  believe, and I think consensus is growing, that none of the tiger:*
>>  tags should be imported (I delete all of them after working on a way).
>>  Ref tags should be populated with the route number, such as "SR 20",
>>  and oneway tags seem to be missing from dual carriageways. Also, the
>>  segments need to be "glommed", that is joining multiple ways with the
>>  same tags into one way, to make future editing easier.

   I agree that tiger: tags are not really useful when bringing in new
data.   I had toyed with algorithms to match TLID values to unnamed
streets/driveways in the old data, but even then there is no reason to
upload TLID with new data.   So I've uploaded the data again with
glommed street segments:

http://www.greenvilleopenmap.info/Yuba_CA.zip

   Check it out and confirm that it makes sense.

    And certainly, if better state or county data is available, it would
make sense to use that instead of TIGER.   Otherwise this is useful for
at least street name + geometry (of varying quality).

   Should we write this up in the Wiki somewhere?   I remember bits and
pieces of this procedure being placed there, but cannot find them now.
The master wiki TIGER page at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tiger
or the main links don't seem to address the subject either.