[Talk-us] how to select overlapping objects in Potlatch 2?

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 02:59:40 BST 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:
> A relatively new user has created a bunch of duplicate Ways around here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.732&lon=-71.49769&zoom=17&layers=M
>
> So far I've had good email exchanges with this new user, and I was about to
> send him a message about this area, but I'm not sure where to begin.
> Obviously, we don't want a bunch of duplicate objects that represent the
> same thing with almost the same geometry.  Looking at the area in Potlatch
> 2, I can't figure out a way to select just one of the overlapping objects,
> so I can't even explain to the new user how to clean it up using his editor
> of choice.  Also, I'm confused as to how this happened in the first place.
> Has anyone else seen something similar to this before?
>
> I can clean it up in JOSM, but I want to get on the same page with the new
> mapper so that he doesn't keep doing it.

You can hold down CTRL and drag a box and anything intersecting that
box will be selected. But that won't really help you in this case
either... I guess you just have to zoom in really far. Then it becomes
obvious that there are two ways.

I wonder if he had problems downloading data from the API. It's like
he got Conant Road downloaded, maybe when he was panned to the west a
little. Then maybe he panned east and was unable to load those
residential streets? That would explain how he has his own connected
network in the area that is connected to Conant Road but nothing else.
I would think it would actually be rather difficult to create a
self-contained network that is so close to existing objects. Potlatch
would tend to snap things to each other so they would be sharing some
nodes. That's my theory.

Toby