[Talk-us] Remap-a-tron observation

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Sep 11 17:16:13 BST 2012

Because this is the kind of project where people invest their time and
creativity mostly if and when they can spare it, not according to an
all-encompassing master plan.

This Remap-a-tron is a result of a lucky coincidence of a spark of
creativity and a modest amount of time being available to me.

We could all have planned ahead better with our perfect hindsight. It
is not constructive pointing at an unidentified 'someone' who 'should'
have done things differently. No one is accountable but we are all
responsible. In the end it really comes down to who has the time and
skills to get stuff done.

Let me also say that there were decent tools available at the time to
identify endangered features.

Martijn

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
>         Thanks for this information. I have been worrying about the unamed
> streets that I have been editing.
>         Again, I have to ask, why wasn't a tool like this included in the
> original redaction? If someone had planned ahead and given the membership
> this tool and tools like Remap-a-Tron, the whole process would have been
> easier. We probably should have done Remap-a-Tron before anything was
> deleted to find and change work done by nonsigners. This is definitely
> something to remember for the future.
>
> Charlotte
>

> At 05:36 AM 9/11/2012, you wrote:
>
> Just a note to those participating with the awesome Remap-a-tron tool -
> please take time to look up or verify the road name from TIGER.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_2011
>
>   Use the URLs in the section "Tiles" in Potlatch or JOSM.    You can also
> substitute the 2012 for 2011 in the URLs to use the latest TIGER
> information.
>
>   If you come across a large deleted/empty subdivision - feel free to let us
> know on the list; it is easier in those cases for one of us to plug in the
> whole subdivision from the TIGER data.  Post the Permalink from Potlatch to
> give the location.

> Charlotte Wolter
> 927 18th Street Suite A
> Santa Monica, California
> 90403
> +1-310-597-4040
> techlady at techlady.com
> Skype: thetechlady
>
> The Four Internet Freedoms
> Freedom to visit any site on the Internet
> Freedom to access any content or service that is not illegal
> Freedom to attach any device that does not interfere with the network
> Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that would
> affect the first three freedoms.

martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com