[Talk-us] Marion and Lane County, Oregon county roads

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Dec 2 12:07:29 UTC 2013

On 12/2/13 3:50 AM, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> On 23:48 2013-12-01, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>>   As far as I'm aware, based on over 25 years of living and traveling in
>> Oregon ending in roughly 2010, no Oregon county prominently marks county
>> reference numbers, which would make the vast majority, if not all, of
>> the county route numbers in Oregon on ways invalid under the current
>> tagging scheme (even if technically correct).

first, verify whether these two counties follow the practice
of unsigned county routes. if they do, then convert to unsigned_ref
(in NY most counties sign their routes, but several do not. it is
within the realm of possibility that in OR, most counties do not,
but some do.)
> Is it possible that these route relations were converted from
> `name_1=County Route 123` tags in TIGER ways? TIGER data in Ohio is
> littered with such tags, and I've been converting them into relations
> in counties that are known to signpost county routes.

that's certainly one reason. another potential reason is that
some mapper became familiar with the county highway
department inventory numbering system and added those.
i'm moving a bunch of those to unsigned_ref in Westchester
County NY (unsigned CRs) right now.

richard