[Talk-us] Turn restriction dispute

Apollinaris Schöll aschoell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 23:31:47 GMT 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> NE2 is going on the "World according to NE2" bender again, need a ruling
> on this relation before I revert:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/2249811
>
> Turn in question is southbound World Drive at Buena Vista Drive in
> Orlando, http://binged.it/128OlwZ.  Despite left turn only markings on
> the southbound approach and a flush median gore preventing a straight-on
> movement, NE2 is of the opinion, and removed the relation, on the excuse
> that "Anyway, I've deleted the turn restriction, since I cannot recall
> having seen any signs prohibiting the movement, and you have not seen any
> such signs because you have not been there." Never mind that the left
> turn only sign is clearly marked on the pavement. He questioned the legal
> standing of the marking since it omits "ONLY," despite the fact that
> section 4.2.1 of the Florida Traffic Engineering Manual requires ONLY to be
> omitted in situations such as the ramp in question (a straight/left arrow
> would be required for a through-or-left-turn lane).
>
> Who's right?

You. it's clearly signed on the pavement. We are no lawyers to challenge
his interpretation in court. So as long as no one gets a ticket and wins
the court case it's the right thing to have a restriction.
And NE2 is known for fighting just for the fight. I come across tons of
crap from him in areas he has never seen. I fix it and don't even consider
to contact him.