[Talk-us] access restriction, water only: How to tag?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 16:03:39 UTC 2013

>  IMHO it isn't an attribute of the campsite but an attribute of the areas
in front of it.
agree (if by areas in front you mean the non water areas)

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I haven't seen sac_scale used on an area, but it seems reasonable
> -1, it is clearly thought and defined for (osm-)highways and not for an
area. There are usually several possibilities where to cross an area,
especially if you include difficult climbing, so I suggest to either not
map any way from land to go there (and maybe put a note on the campsite for
other mappers to indicate that it isn't simply not yet mapped), or if there
is a climbing route(s) map these routes and add suitable tags to them

Fair enough.  However, as a map user, my assumption would be that an open
space on the map in a National Park, without any highway=* ways, and
without any land cover type tags (or natural=cliff, barrier=*, etc) would
be that I *might* be able to traverse that area on foot with only moderate
difficulty and little danger.  If we want to make the map explicit as to
the difficulty of foot travel, then we should have a tag that can be
applied to an area indicating this.  Perhaps it isn't sac_scale, but we
should have something.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/attachments/20130726/2d26783e/attachment.html>

More information about the Talk-us mailing list