[Talk-us] access restriction, water only: How to tag?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 15:31:06 UTC 2013

2013/7/26 Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com>

> While I can't point to an example, I believe I've seen some state park
> campsites that actually have a legal restriction against being accessed by
> land. It might be that the terrain is considered too dangerous (park does
> not want to assume liability for injuries), too ecologically sensitive or
> requires traversing private property. In those cases it does seem to me
> that access=water_only (or some equivalent) really does fit.

Also in these cases I won't tag it like this on the campsite.
access=water_only isn't really understandable: only water can access??
If there are restrictions on the areas in front of the campsite (or any
other feature), simply map those restrictions (boundary=protected_area,
etc., access=no, ...) to where they apply. IMHO it isn't an attribute of
the campsite but an attribute of the areas in front of it. If you want to
be explicit for visitors of the campsite (like a description in a leaflet
from the campsite probably would), add a free text like "note" (for other
mappers) or "description" (for data consumers) to the campsite with an
explanation.

cheers,
Martin