[Talk-us] US Bicycle Routes in KY, TN, AL, MS, and GA

KerryIrons irons54vortex at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 10 23:04:26 UTC 2013

Paul,

The "extremely vague PDF" is a corridor plan, not a route network.  The plan
was designed specifically to show where routes should be developed, leaving
the details at the state level and to be defined later.  There is no way a
national effort could have been done by trying to choose the specific
streets, roads, and trails to be used.

It's fine to tag a route as "proposed" but proposed by who?  If a bike
advocate or local government official finds the OSM/OCM routes they will not
intuitively grasp what is going on.   What is likely to happen is just what
triggered my inquiry here: a bike advocate saw this and asked "What is going
on?"  They had no sense where these proposed routes came from or who
developed them.  Most people are not going to become OSM members in order to
figure this sort of thing out.  And therein lies the source of confusion.
For a non-member viewer of these maps there is no information about the
source of the map or how to contact the mapper to discuss the map.  Then you
get into the "Which map are we working from?" problem.

I keep coming back to the need for communication and coordination.

Kerry Irons
Adventure Cycling Association