[Talk-us] US Bicycle Routes in KY, TN, AL, MS, and GA

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Mar 11 00:32:19 UTC 2013

I think Kerry's concern is about "proposed" routes being in the OSM db
(and renders) when no such proposed routes exist.  Taking a line from
wikipedia (which I realize is tricky business), we shouldn't be doing
original research in determining things, but rather documenting things
that exist.  If there are signs and a published route, that's obviously
a route.  If an organization that is generally viewed as having the
authority to determine a route has published a proposal (which is
stronger than 6 what-if scenarios), then that's fair to be in as
proposed.  But as I understand the situation, a cognizant organization
has published a target corridor, not a proposed route.

But, this could be about having an actual published proposal and being
concerned about it becoming widely available, and stopping that doesn't
fit with OSM norms.

I am also a little surprised about using the OSM database for "what if"
rendering.  It makes sense to use OSM data as the baselayer, and the
toolchain for rendering what if, but if there isn't at least a published
plan for a route (as in "this route is in the state's 20-year plan and
we're working on funding, but if we had money this is what we'd do right
now"), then putting various things people might want to do in the
database seems to be very far away from verifiable and even not meeting
the "accurately describe the world" test.  But perhaps I misread some of
the earlier comments.