[Talk-us] Question about incorrect data for an administrative area

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Mon Oct 14 13:57:46 UTC 2013

* Jay Boyer <boyer at SNHDMAIL.ORG> [2013-10-10 13:34 -0700]:
> Enterprise is an unincorporated town.  But Enterprise is actually part of Las Vegas and all of the addresses within Enterprise are "Las Vegas" addresses.
>
> Enterprise is this area:  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/170132

There are a couple of things going on here.

First, if Enterprise does not have its own government, it probably
shouldn't be boundary=administrative.  I've seen people use things like
boundary=census for unincorporated towns where the "town" boundary is a
CDP from the US Census data import.

Second, place=locality is for locations that are not associated with a
population center.  Based on my understanding of the tags, for a place
that is considered to be within a place=city, you should use either
place=suburb (for major or notable city divisions, which it sounds like
Enterprise is) or place=neighbourhood.  Nominatim will order either of
those tags hierarchically with the city-tagged place, so address lookups
will work for both "Street Name, Enterprise, NV" and "Street Name, Las
Vegas, NV".