[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Aug 30 20:09:58 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Russell Deffner <russell.deffner at hotosm.org
> wrote:

> Well, the road your referring to sounds like a track, if it has no other
> significant use than a beautiful and adventurous way to travel between the
> two towns.  However, the road I live on is well maintained (graded, plowed
> in winter, etc. – FYI I drive a Nissan Maxima/low clearance 2WD) but
> basically has only one function – to get to the residences along it – which
> fits residential much more than track.  I think this is a case where there
> is not a one size fits all for road classification, in my opinion my local
> knowledge suggests there is a big difference between the residential dirt
> road I live on and the (typically 4X4) tracks that are in the area.

If it's well maintained year-round, I'd be willing to call that a
highway=unclassified at best.  I tend to reserve higher classifications for
paved roads that have centerlines, at a dead minimum.  Paved with
centerlines and fog lines, even if they don't have a paved shoulder, is
definitely tertiary at a minimum (though I would consider BC 17 between
Port Renfrew and Victoria, BC as secondary due to it's nature as a
provincial highway, despite at least a dozen one lane bridges, due to the
prevailing nature of the highway, much the same way I consider US 412
between the Cimarron Turnpike and downtown Tulsa a motorway, even though
there's one at-grade intersection on a spit just east of Keystone Lake on
that highway).