[Talk-us] Quick intro and request to contribute

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Jan 13 23:36:48 UTC 2014

Hello Dave:

In California, the California Public Records Act or CPRA (1) and
recent court cases (2, 3) make data published by our government
(public) entities consistent with OpenStreetMap's license.  This went
all the way to the California Supreme Court and is established
statute, and so is essentially legally unassailable.

I (and I believe the greater OSM community) welcome your input of
these data into OSM.  This is done by adding the correct speed_limit
tags to the appropriate ways:  don't forget to add MPH otherwise the
units are assumed to be km/h.  See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Speed_limit for our documentation.

You might also want to take a look at existing tagging on roadways
near you using the handy map at http://www.itoworld.com/map/124 which
shows existing speed_limit tagging in OSM via a custom renderer built
especially for that purpose.  For example see US-101 north of Cal
Poly and California State Route 58 through Santa Margarita.

It couldn't hurt to travel to the closest road and "check consistency
of published data against on-the-ground reality."  Use this as a
guide to judge for yourself the quality of the data.

If you trust the data, give a local roadway a try by entering it into
OSM and see if you like the way the results look (in the itoworld
map), and then take it from there.  You might continue to manually
add more, you might want to posit an import to the wider community
(and get help, or do it yourself), you might point others to the data
you have found and ask them to do an import.  But again, I welcome
you to enter the data into OSM and "enjoy" the results!

SteveA
California

(1) California Government Code, section 6250 et seq

(2) County of Santa Clara vs. California First Amendment Coalition,
Court of Appeal Sixth Appellate District #H031658, Super. Ct. No. CV
072630, (2009) where the court held "the CPRA contains no provisions
either for copyrighting (this work of geographic data) or for
conditioning its release on an end user or licensing agreement by the
requester.  The record thus must be disclosed as provided in the
CPRA, without any such conditions or limitations."

(3)  Finally, in the Supreme Court of California, Sierra Club vs.
Superior Court of Orange County (S194708) ruled that "digital mapping
files known as geographic information systems must be released under
the state's public records law."  (2013)

See
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/08/local/la-me-adv-map-ruling-20130709
as well as
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/09/business/la-fi-digital-maps-20100609