[Talk-us] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Using 'Kort' outside of Switzerland

Peter Davies peter.davies at crc-corp.com
Sat Jan 18 18:57:17 UTC 2014

Simon,

Hello again.  Thank you for the info about how Kort works.  As a newcomer
to OSM I wasn't familiar with keepright.

Upon further study I discover that a user has added tags for Portland's
Northwest (and Southwest) Naito Parkway in Japanese, and that keepright
wants to know the language of the original name.  This must be why Kort
repeatedly asks me to specify the (English) language of ways on this street.

On the bi-lingual questions, I just came back from a trip to Switzerland
and had noticed the different approach to language signing than that of
(say) Canada.  Except in Quebec, much of which is signed only in French,
most Canadian streets are named (say) "Rue Blackshaw Street" on a single
name plate, with Rue and Street in smaller text than the core name itself.
 As you say, this is not the practice in Switzerland.  And Kort reflects
this. Good!

The policy question of whether city streets in Portland should be tagged
bilingually in English and Japanese is currently beyond me. It is possible
that the city has signed this street in Japanese as well as English.  I'll
take a look now I know what's going on.

Thank you for helping me understand how Kort works,

Peter