[Talk-us] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Using 'Kort' outside of Switzerland

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 17:20:24 UTC 2014

2014/1/18 Peter Davies <peter.davies at crc-corp.com>

>  Would it depend on (say) whether or not the street is actually posted in
> Japanese as well as in English?  Or should another criterion be suggested?

the name tag is not only about street names. Think of famous monuments or
important cities, they will more often have names in different languages.
Outside of multilingual areas it will be very rare that a street or square
has more than one name. There are also examples for the latter, like "St.
Peter's Square" in the Vatican City, which is according to the posted sign
called "Piazza San Pietro" (and there is no English name anywhere near or
at that square that I am aware of, but I guess nonetheless nobody would
doubt the validity of the English name.)

Other examples where multiple names for streets do occur are former
colonies, but one might argue that those are indeed multilingual areas.

For transliterations of non-latin characters I'd suggest to use a dedicated
tag and not the name:en etc. tags, but I'd use the name:en when the name is
also posted in English.

cheers,
Martin