[Talk-us] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Using 'Kort' outside of Switzerland

Peter Davies peter.davies at crc-corp.com
Sat Jan 18 19:46:44 UTC 2014

Thanks, Paul. I ... err ... think I get your point about the "name in lang"
rather than the "name translated into lang".  I guess you're saying that
the "name in lang" has to be in common usage, somewhere, and that the goal
is not to translate all street names multi-lingually?

It turns out that Kort's request for me to specify that "Northwest Naito
Parkway" is in English was caused by a mapper having added its name to OSM
in Japanese.  I'm curious as to whether or not you think that this "should"
have been added, as a matter of general policy.  Would it depend on (say)
whether or not the street is actually posted in Japanese as well as in
English?  Or should another criterion be suggested?  (This being Portland,
it's perfectly possible that this street is posted in an unusual language
as well as in English. I can check.)

I also began to become curious about countries that don't use the Latin
alphabet. Should "English" or shall we say Latin alphabet translations be
provided for Japanese street names like 伏見通り(Fushimi-dori), do you think?

Peter