[Talk-us] Any foursquare/OSM editing update? How about Craigslist?

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Jan 20 01:22:01 UTC 2014

On 16:07 2014-01-19, Randy Meech wrote:
> Why not? Because if you make a venn diagram of users who want to use a
> local/mapping product and users who want to edit one *actively*,
> there's honestly not much overlap. Products need to do right by their
> users. We offered the ability to edit the map on the open products at
> MapQuest, but I don't remember there being much new interest. I
> suspect this is the same for Foursquare -- people use Foursquare for
> the social & recommendation aspects, not to edit a map.

When Foursquare switched to OSM, they brought in several new mappers
from Greater Cincinnati, one of them a superuser. Judging from their
first edits, they may have been attracted to the broad building coverage
we had in the area. From the user perspective, building outlines beyond
downtown were the only noticeable advantage Mapbox Streets had over
Google at the time, and the only thing that livened up the map. (Google
has much broader building coverage now.)

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us