[Talk-us] Who controls data: Google Maps, others erasing Hollywood sign, but it's in OSM

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Nov 28 19:10:33 UTC 2014

Well, I think a a huge difference between the Hollywood Sign and Mount
Rushmore is Mount Rushmore is clearly a site dedicated to the monument.
The Hollywood Sign, IIRC, is on public property left flat save for the
sign, with no special status.  Furthermore, the individual letters are
obviously distinct (the letters, as viewed from most angles, have a bit of
a wavy roll to their baseline and clearly don't quite face the same angles
(most casually obvious at sunset).  It wouldn't surprise me if the
individual letters are useful to geocachers at a minimum.