[Talk-us] Vandalism

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Thu Oct 9 07:24:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-09 at 09:14 +0200, Marc Gemis wrote:
> In this case I don't mind, the user made only one edit with the
> purpose of advertising a business.
>

>  But imaging what the effect would be when you make your first edit in
> OSM, and are immediately called vandal. Would you continue editing ? I
> doubt so.
> IMHO The best solution in such a case is first contact the mapper and
> friendly point out that he/she made a mistake. That it is simply to
> correct this. Suggest how it can be fixed.
> Immediately start yelling vandalism and contacting the DWR for such a
> small issue is an overkill and turns aways new mappers.

I agree the DWG shouldn't be contacted over one edit, whether a user's
first edit or not. However there's still a net effect of vandalism for
the users who were looking for the original street name. I agree it
probably was not intentional.

Even if made to the correct object, there appeared to be ad-copy-like
text in this edit. Do we not already have a rule against that
specifically?