[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Sep 6 11:10:55 UTC 2014

Greg Morgan wrote:
> It feels like the discussion is about fixing a routing problem
> when in reality you would exclude people that want to make it
> to Cleator Arizona or other recreational destinations.  The
> people at the Cleator Bar and Yacht Club[4] would question
> your judgement that this a fictional place or that is not
> a meaningful destination.

No, you misunderstand.

No-one is going to entirely delete roads/tracks that exist in reality.

The prevalent issues with backwoods TIGER are:

a) highway=residential on roads/tracks that go nowhere near a residence
b) highway=residential where no road/track exists of any sort
c) no indication of surface type (bearing in mind that the rest of the
developed world predominantly uses highway=residential for a paved road)

How you solve these issues is your decision as the US community. If you want
to keep highway=residential for the tracks that exist and add a surface= or
tracktype= tag, you do that. Personally I would suggest that you use either
highway=track or highway=unclassified and add a surface tag, but it ain't my
country. The good thing about this discussion is that ideas are emerging
about how to solve the problem, both in tagging and in resources.

Distinguishing between gravel roads, forest tracks, suburban streets and
non-existent things - all of which might currently be mapped as
highway=residential - isn't "excluding people who want to make it to
Cleator, Arizona". Quite the opposite: a more accurate, clearer map, whether
for rendering or routing, for truck drivers or car drivers or cyclists,
makes it easier for people to get to Cleator, Arizona, and a thousand other
places.

Richard