[Talk-us] Prima Facie Speed Limits

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Sep 15 08:09:31 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> maxspeed:source=* was a "thinko" (kind of like a typo but different part
> of the body). :)

OK, probably, but it does sort nicely in JOSM.  Either way, feel free to
fix my mistagging on this...I've used maxpseed:source=* on a few counties
now and if I got the key backwards, feel free to fix.  I'm not going to
argue over extremely minor semantics like this.

The jumbled pseudokey value "us:ca:residential" was inspired by
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source:maxspeed used elsewhere in
> the world (e.g. "source:maxspeed=DE:urban"). But I would be happy with
> "default speed limit for unposted streets in California", or a shorter
> string like "California vehicle code 22352".

I would actually rather cite the code in question, or when in doubt, the
source signs.  I'll personally vouch for Oklahoma zone speeds (if they're
45 or, rarely 35, for county; or 25 for pretty much all of a minor town,
assuming the state road leading into it has the appropriate stepdowns.)

That said, all of Oregon could be tagged as the following, in MPH, if not
otherwise tagged:

3: ODOT scales
5: ODOT rest areas and scales.
10: Longer ramps in ODOT rest areas and scales.
15: Alleyways.
15-50: Variable speed zones within urban Portland.
20: School zones when flashing or children present.
25: Residential ways.
30-45: Suburban arterials
45: Expressways (trunk) unless otherwise posted (rare, there may be some
inaccurate NE2 trunks existing, but I know Salem Parkway and Bend Parkway
are 45s)
50: ALL urban freeways except I 405 and I 5 near central Portland (which
are variable 15-50)
55: Suburban freeways, almost all rural highways.
60: I5 in Salem (IIRC) and pretty close to nowhere else.
65: Extremely rural freeway.

In any rate, maxspeed in Oregon can consider ODOT ORCA a valid source under
Oregon's sunshine laws (which means, to the best of my understanding, every
public way in Oregon should have a maxpseed based on the above or what is
in ODOT ORCA.
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/hwy/traffic-roadway/Pages/speed_zone_program.aspx
 Anything outside the above chart probably should specifically tag the
traffic signs involved, since 100% of speed limits on public roads are
controlled by ODOT.