[Talk-us] Merging NYC buildings

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Sep 19 16:06:31 UTC 2014

On 9/19/2014 7:00 AM, Bryan Housel wrote:
> We really should come up with a good way to make authoritative data
> harder to edit in the various editors.
All that a particular data source can be authoritative for is what that
data source says something is. What is authoritative for OSM is the
ground truth.

That's not to say that there aren't features that would be difficult to
improve in accuracy. The Canada-US border on the west coast comes to
mind. It's pieced together from multiple observations and data sources
and it's unlikely someone could improve it's accuracy, but the
possibility remains there.

The idea of some tag to "lock" objects from normal editing because they
are "authoritative" has occasionally been proposed, and to summarize the
discussion, it's extremely unlikely to happen.