[Talk-us] Gosh ... something about mapping ...

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 15:32:50 UTC 2015

Reading from http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-04-28/html/2011-10258.htm

> The FHWA's current definition of a motorcycle is two-fold: (1)
Motorcycles, and (2) motor bicycles and scooters. The specific language
for defining motorcycles, provided in FHWA's Guide, follows:

>Item I.E.2. Motorcycles: This item includes two-wheeled and three-
wheeled motorcycles. Sidecars are not regarded as separate
vehicles--a motorcycle and sidecar are reported as a single unit.
>Item I.E.3. Motor bicycles and scooters: Mopeds should be included
with motor-driven cycles (motor bicycles) in the States that require
their registration.

The article goes on to say that the laws vary greatly by state when
defining what a moped is, so I suppose consumers of OSM routing restriction
data would need to be cognizant of the local laws, just as the users of the
roads in those states should be.

Laws that define a motor-driven cycle that list a max speed or engine
displacement (CC) may or may not include Mofas.

Perhaps put a caveat that restrictions vary by local law?

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:32 AM Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> Well ... the definitions are very fuzzy  (this is just so that you are
> aware that there is potential for conflict): mopeds* are in general just
> low displacement motorcycles, historically with pedals , but that is
> typically no longer a legal requirement. For example there are scooters
> that fall in this class. Mofas on the other hand, where the class exists,
> typically have a requirement for pedals (adding pedelecs in to the mix just
> makes things more complicated so leaving that away for now).
>
> Obviously a moped without pedals is fairly dead when the motor isn't
> running :-)
>
> Simon
>
> * just to confuse things in Germany it is colloquially quite common to
> refer to any motorcycle as "moped" (even my 1300cc beemer)
>

> Am 02.12.2015 um 10:13 schrieb Paul Johnson:
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>

>> I've changed the relevant tags to moped=no. Any opinion on if mopeds
>> would be included in "motor vehicles"? I don't think I've ever seen a mofa
>> in the states (I find people on Vespas in the states already fairly brave)
>> but what about pedelecs and similar?
>>

> A moped would qualify as both a motor vehicle and a bicycle, which it is
> (and whether or not it can use bicycle lanes and cycleways) is determined
> by whether or not the motor is running.

Elliott Plack
http://elliottplack.me