[Talk-us] Routing on Ferries

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Jan 1 17:18:19 UTC 2015

On 1/1/15 12:13 PM, Harald Kliems wrote:
> Graphhopper doesn't have the problem. It could be that other routers
> are using outdated data that did indeed have a tagging problem.
>
> https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=47.811656%2C-122.379627&point=47.809696%2C-122.528286&layer=Lyrk

in the long run, we should consider whether there should
be tagging extensions to cover access routes that should be
routed, or perhaps a more nuanced approach to access roads
from routers.

i have a couple of recent cases where OSM based routing has
produced bad results because of these sorts of issues; some
require tagging extensions and others might be addressed
by adding specific criteria to routers as to when service roads
are permissible (e.g. ferry approaches or at route endpoints)

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
  Java - Web Applications - Search