[Talk-us] access road routing - two real world cases

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Jan 1 23:13:24 UTC 2015

On 1/1/15 6:00 PM, Harald Kliems wrote:
> I don't think that this is a tagging but a routing problem. It seems
> easy enough to me to program a router "do not use roads with
> access=private unless they are the first or last segment of a route"
> or something along those lines.

well, it is an issue if there are multiple candidate roads marked
private but only one of them is actually correct. we can either
overload access=permissive or access=destination, or add a
new tag, but if we do none of these then we can't make this
distinction and the routers will lack sufficient guidance. this is
the biltmore estate case, where the roads are currently all marked
access=private (which is technically correct) and so OSM based
routers may make wrong choices.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux