[Talk-us] access road routing - two real world cases

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Jan 2 00:02:17 UTC 2015

Harald Kliems <kliems at gmail.com> writes:
>I don't think that this is a tagging but a routing problem. It seems
>easy enough to me to program a router "do not use roads with
>access=private unless they are the first or last segment of a route"
>or something along those lines.
>
>RE: access=destination. Not sure  what the convention is in the US,
>but in Germany this is mainly used for public roads open only to
>people living or having business to do on the road, usually to
>prevent through-traffic. There is an official road sign for
>this <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anlieger#mediaviewer/File:Zusatzzeichen_1020-30.svg>http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anlieger#mediaviewer/File:Zusatzzeichen_1020-30.svg

Right, Harald.  I agree that access=destination is quite useful as it
has exactly that semantic meaning.  But it doesn't seem too far a
stretch to ask it to enclose "if you MUST use (route to) this roadway
to achieve your destination, go ahead and include it in your route"
as well.

SteveA
California