[Talk-us] National Forest "nature_reserve"?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jun 2 23:04:42 UTC 2015

Russell Deffner <russell.deffner at hotosm.org> writes:

> Sorry I don’t follow this topic more closely but I would think with
> the mixed-used of national forests, it is best to use
> boundary=protected_area[1] but I know it has been discussed a bunch,
> so someone might have an even better answer.

I agree that leisure=nature_reserve is not right.   I add that to land
with primary tag landuse=conservation when human access is permitted
subject to non-interference with the creatures, more or less.

Really a US national forest is landuse=forest, except that the
landuse=forest tag has the (not really right) connotation of trees as
landcover.

As for "boundary=protected_area", while there are rules, this seems off
as National Forests aren't really conservation land.   Plus, I've always
objected to putting semantics like that on the boundary when really it's
a property of the polygon.   But I know it's established practice....