[Talk-us] a plea to armchair mappers

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Jun 12 11:06:17 UTC 2015

On 6/12/2015 1:47 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> If it turns out that this is not an accident but a systemic problem
> (e.g. due to the mapper employing some sort of TIGER<->OSM comparison
> and systematically re-adding stuff) then the mapper should be encouraged
> to be more diligent, or if that is not possible, the mapper should
> probably stop making these types of edits altogether.

  The value of the TIGER<>OSM comparison process greatly outweighs the
risks of a few zombie roads reappearing.   I've been reviewing all of
them now, but there are only a tiny number of road removals that would
be incorrectly re-added.

   I'm not sure that contacting them would help in this case: what would
tell them that something isn't right.   I've come within a gnats tooth
of doing the same thing myself when fixing something in an unfamiliar
area.    The question is: what would prompt them to even slow down and
investigate?   The phantom object with README seems to be the best
solution for now.

   Then there's the question of whether the TIGER<>OSM comparison should
use only the TIGER delta from 2007-2014.   But that would miss roads
that were accidentally deleted by newbie editors; something that happens
from time to time.