[Talk-us] cycle.travel US bike routing, and unreviewed rural TIGER

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Jun 15 17:47:33 UTC 2015

Paul Norman writes:
>The most important change is probably setting appropriate surface
>information. I don't know the exact secret sauce magic of
>cycle.travel, but surface information is very important for
>selecting reasonable routes on a bike - or indeed, any non-foot
>method of transportation.
>
>Also, keep in mind, most rural highway=residential from TIGER should
>be either highway=unclassified, highway=track, highway=service, or
>deleted.

EXCELLENT points, BOTH of these, Paul.  Unfortunately, surface tags
are not especially widespread (in the USA, where I am familiar), but
where found, they do make excellent choice points in bicycle routing
logic.

Richard (Fairhurst), if cycle.travel/map's router logic is not paying
attention to surface= tags, perhaps it should, as doing so truly can
improve selected routes.  (Not that isn't a fine router already!)

Who knows, it's possible, even likely that OSM gets lots of new
surface tagging if we have a router that pays attention.  (Data feeds
usage, usage feeds data, ad infinitum).

SteveA
California