[Talk-us] cycle.travel US bike routing, and unreviewed rural TIGER

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Jun 19 19:47:22 UTC 2015

Just as a postscript to this discussion I thought I'd cite an example area.
If you look here, in Georgia:

   http://cycle.travel/map?lat=31.9023&lon=-84.0398&zoom=14

you'll see that most of the roads are unreviewed TIGER residentials. Of
those, these are adjacent to each other:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9359782 - good tarmac, should be
highway=tertiary
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9359913 - unpaved road;
highway=unclassified, surface=unpaved
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9359784 - probably tertiary, but lousy
geometry at the S
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9359783 - whoops, where did the
connectivity go?

All of this is trivially fixable but right now there's no way of using them
for routing or sensible cartography. Do dive in - the cycle.travel rendering
makes it obvious which bits need fixing, and you learn to identify the roads
which are likely to be paved through roads and therefore targets to fix.
It's quite good fun. :)

cheers
Richard