[Talk-us] Moving historic railroad ways from OSM to OpenHistoricalMap

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue Mar 31 05:53:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-29 05:00, Mark Bradley wrote:
> Hello list.  I have been communicating with a mapper who says he has
> been deleting abandoned railroads (the ones where the infrastructure is
> totally removed).  As the premise of OSM is to only map
> ground-verifiable features (other than certain boundaries), I didn't
> want to argue with him, but I don't want to see this information lost
> either.  I said I would look into transferring those ways to
> OpenHistoricalMap.  Yesterday he sent me a message, saying he's
> identified two more abandoned railroads and he's giving me the
> opportunity to act on them before they get deleted.  Can I export these
> ways from OSM and then import them into OHM?  Or is there a better way
> or some other solution?

Just wanted to point out that there's still a place in OSM for mapping
railroad rights-of-way where the tracks have been pulled out but the ROW
is still reserved and discernible. The Standard style no longer renders
railway=abandoned, but it can still be a useful navigational landmark.

In any case, I've CC'd the OpenHistoricalMap list, where all the experts
hang out these days.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us