[Talk-us] GeoBadges 1.0 for OpenStreetMap

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Nov 18 00:06:00 UTC 2015

Hi Kate

The changes on Geobadges are naturally OK (in a way, more see below)  it
just isn't backed up by measures on the OSMF side. Aka we don't do any
age checking at all and I'm slightly concerned that addressing US youths
and only having (whatever) enforcement for half of the equation is not
such a good idea. I'm further slightly concerned that multi-million
budget US based organisations, likely with dozens of highly paid
in-house lawyers, need me to point out their local legislation to them.

The more general, relevant for OSM, issue is that we should fix the
problem properly where we can, given that sooner or later we wont be
able to ignore it. And it seems that it is now "sooner".  Either arrange
things that we are either exempt from getting consent from the parents,
having a procedure in place for this to be documented or at least some
measures in place that outline what the potential dangers are (doodling
"my home" on the map has a different quality if a 60 year does it than a
10 year old) .

To be clear: "I" don't want to exclude a 12 year old US resident that is
interested in collecting  data in their neighbourhood from making
surveying for OSM their hobby*, as a result I'm slightly unhappy with
the above, but short term it is likely the only thing we can do.

As to "people all over the world are encouraging teenagers": there are
likely numerous other countries where their is similar legislation. it
is simply that the US is a  well known case. The oldest discussions of
this go back to at least 2009 (before I was an active member of the
community). From the LWG side, if I'm not totally mistaken, the policy
has always been to not specifically target children and youths. This may
have been considered so sensitive that it was never minuted,, but the
current and past board members that were involved are well aware of this.

Simon

* personal opinion as a parent is that I don't see a value in trying to
get kids to spend even more time in from of a screen simply arm
chairing, but going outside collecting stuff, great.