[Talk-us] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in, favor of relations

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Nov 19 12:13:56 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:

> russ wrote:
>  > Paul Johnson writes:
>  >  > I was really hoping the latest carto would have included relations
> and
>  >  > graphical shields myself, since that's almost a throwaway ticklist
> item for
>  >  > maps (and particularly online maps) the world over these days.
>  >
>  > I took the time to create relations for all of my county's routes
>  > because I wanted to see them rendered with graphical shields.
>
> thinking about the term "sunset" in the subject:  when route relations
> are created, does that mean the ref= tags go away?  seems like there's
> a need for a transition period in there somewhere.

Obviously there needs to be a sunrise for consumers to catch up, but
eventually the dinosaur needs to be killed.  There's some places where the
way has a ref unique to the route, as noted on the ground, that currently
isn't easy to map thanks to the associated tag already being used to
identify the ref of an entirely different entity (the route relation).  I'm
also suggesting that the quicker we do this, the more painless it'll be.