[Talk-us] Editing US National Parks

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:53:48 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> From past conversations with NPS employees I've learned that NPS is using
> a modified version of the iD editor. Changesets from that editor are
> uploaded to both OSM and NPS. The OSM data is added to our database while
> the NPS feed is sent to be validated before being added to NPS data.
>
> Read the article [1] on NPS website for a better description of the
> process.
>
> [1]
> https://www.nps.gov/npmap/blog/nps-plus-osm-equals-places-of-interest.html
>
> I don't have any objection to what is in the blog post, and it sounds like
a great program. Perhaps the person with whom I was having the discussion
was referring to their copy of OSM when they said "lock down", which they
are free to do.

"nps:verified=yes" may prove problematic for them as anyone is free to
modify an element with that tag and not remove the tag. From an overall OSM
perspective, other than taking up some DB space, I don't think it hurts.

Mike