[Talk-us] [Imports] Proposing import of sidewalk data Seattle, WA, USA

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 17:51:56 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 12:40 AM, Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> look at the recent turn lane work that MapBox is performing. They
>> have done a wonderful job of finding issues and developing use cases
>> for the rest of the community.  Far worse than the alleged GIGO of
>> this import is the NINO.  Without out MapBox's activity we would not
>> have a well developed definition of turn lanes.  Without sideway data
>> mapped and worked on, we'll get no where with these kinds-of
>> discussions.  I look forward to see what the Washington community will
>> find.  I am still working out details of my sidewalk edits.  I'd like
>> to build on the Washington data that will be developed.
>> https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/wiki/Mapping-guide-for-turn-lanes-from-imagery
>> https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/wiki/QA-for-turn-lane-data
>
> Huh ? The German community had turn:lane mapping as a week project
> (don't take  that too literally) back in November 2014. Thousands of
> turn lanes have been added in the months after the idea was launched
> in "DACH" (Germany, Switserland & Austria). I had been mapping
> hundreds of them in Belgium since spring 2014, all based on the JOSM
> style developed by Martin Vonwald.
> Please do not make it sound like Mapbox pushed turn:lane mapping
> forward. Maybe this is true for the US, but not for Western Europe.
> OsmAnd has turn lane navigation since the summer of 2015.

In 2014 turn:lane mapping was not on my radar.  I have not used
OsmAnd. I had/have no clue of your activity until now.  In the last
six years I have often turned to Western Europe for examples but
turn:lane mapping has not been one of them. What MapBox has pushed
forward is excellent documentation and published it in such a way that
the documentation was clear and drew my interest.  Moreover, what
really caught my eye is how the Portland community responded to a
mistake during the mapping process.  The Portland community did not
call in the DWC to break both of the mapper's knee caps with a
baseball bat.  The issue was repaired and the community moved forward.

Regards,
Greg