[Talk-us] Common names of highways do not match road signs.

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Jul 8 19:56:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tended to use "name:signed=no" and/or "ref:signed=no" if there's a
> name or ref that is agreed to be "correct" but not useful for navigation.

This is where things get *exceedingly* complicated in my region.   Signage
can be *highly* inconsistent for decades, and sometimes posted incorrectly
to begin with (for example, in eastern Broken Arrow, the route Creek
Turnpike is signed as Liberty Parkway on the actual turnpike (which is
correct, the route is named and not numbered, and it's late 1980s expansion
runs on a road whose name doesn't match the name of the route).  What's
incorrect, though, is that the ramps are signed as "TURNPIKE NORTH" or
"TURNPIKE SOUTH", which makes no sense considering that the route runs
east/west.  And the state legislature declares an emergency at least once
per session (and in at least one case since I moved here, actually called
an emergency session) to rename dozens of roads, which, since an emergency
is declared, OklaDOT has to post it *right now*, quality or consistency be
damned...and so it's often only posted where the name changes and none of
the intermediate signs until the intermediate signs wear out.  And with the
ridiculously long names that have been pumped out lately, where the highway
has been renamed, OklaDOT (already under absurd budget pressure), usually
just goes "screw it" and posts a simple route number trail blazer, removing
the old name signs when they wear out at the intermediate locations.