[Talk-us] Deleting / Closing / Renaming all places in a chain

Mike N niceman at att.net
Wed Sep 7 18:19:30 UTC 2016

On 9/7/2016 10:13 AM, Brian Stromberg wrote:
> Automated nationwide mapping seems like it would introduce more problems
> than it would solve. If maps are intended to represent the truth on the
> ground, then the only way to create a useful map is by reporting what is
> actually there rather than making assumptions. A map that is inaccurate
> because it is outdated is better than a map that is inaccurate because
> of a flawed process.

   Welcome to the list!   I've been surprised by both what OSM data is
applied to, as well as what it is not.  Where it was used, having the
maximum amount of current information made it the most useful.

You are correct that using a flawed process will lead to inaccurate
results - there was the famous worldwide edit "Fix and unify all
MacDonald's restaurant names" which led to wrong results.   The ITT
closing case is both small enough and well defined that I expect a very
high quality result.