[Talk-us] Best practice in Lane Editing

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:28:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:09 AM Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought the "standard" was to put the exit and entrance nodes at the
> place where there is no physical barrier. Continuous white lines
> should be mapped with change:lanes and should have no impact on the
> position of the node. So definitely position "2".
> IMHO This is illustrated by the picture on
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lanes

Please note the footnote on the wiki page though: "There is *no* physical
separation between the upper two lanes and the lower ones, just a double
solid line. While the editing standards
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions#Divided_highways>
 recommend to split the ways only when a *physical* separation is present,
in many regions the ways are already splitted in case of a legal separation
like a double solid line. In such a case both resulting ways should be
tagged with lanes <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes>=2."

So if we go by what is called the "editing standards," the example that
Horea posted is correct as is, with a split at position 2 being common but
not exactly right because there is no physical barrier. To me that makes
sense, as we also wouldn't map a two-lane road with a double yellow line
but no median as separate ways.

 Harald.