[Talk-us] TIGER fixup for Hurricane Harvey potential impact areas

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Aug 28 14:00:41 UTC 2017

Brian if I may - adding transparent=true on to the end of the URL will
allow the street layer to be transparent so satelite imagery can be used
along with the streets.

The URL would be
http://maps.mapwise.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=maps/fmo-base-osm-texas.map&transparent=true

After selecting the layer using the Get Layers, change the image from
image/jpeg to image/png

Then you are good to go.

Clifford

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Brian May <bmay at mapwise.com> wrote:

> There is now a task in the OSM Task Manager to help coordinate the effort
> at http://tasks.openstreetmap.us/project/104
>
> There is also a WMS layer of Texas statewide streets available at
> http://maps.mapwise.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=maps/fmo-base-osm-texas.map&
> - use that URL in JOSM.
>
> Adding WMS layer to JOSM tutorial here: http://learnosm.org/en/josm/
> josm-adding-imagery/
>
> The streets are from: https://tnris.org/data-catalog/entry/txdot-roadways/
>
> Brian
>
> On 8/25/2017 10:02 PM, Hans De Kryger wrote:
>
> Thanks for letting me know, i'm on it!
>
> *Regards,*
> *Hans*
>
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Brian May <bmay at mapwise.com> wrote:
>
>> Calling all TIGER fixup junkies. I've been poking around the coastal
>> areas of Texas where Hurricane Harvey is expected to make landfall and
>> seeing a lot of TIGER fixup needed. More and more websites depend on OSM so
>> it would be nice to provide more accurate and updated info than what is
>> there now. Maps and GIS are going to be heavily relied on especially after
>> the storm.
>>
>> Common issues:
>>
>> - Streets that aren't there
>>
>> - Tracks marked as residential. Many tracks are barely visible or edges
>> of farms and should be deleted.
>>
>> - Driveways marked as residential streets (should be service).
>>
>> - Streets needing realignment.
>>
>> - Streets not connecting properly.
>>

>> An interesting site using OSM is https://livestormchasing.com/map
>>
>> Storm chaser locations are shown on OSM in real time and there are video
>> feeds from some of them. So that means you can get real time video of what
>> the ground looks like! Lots of flooding already happening along the coast.
>>
>> Brian aka grouper

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch