[Talk-us] highway=trunk for NHS routes?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jan 2 10:22:36 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> But we do need to seriously examine if our US definition of trunk/primary
> in lieu of UK M/A/B system is fit for purpose outside the compact urban
> zones, and then what to do that can serve both the  feeder of a cluster of
> mountain parks and the boulevards of Los Angeles.

I'm still in favor of the method we have now...which as I'm understanding
it would be as follows...

motorway = Fully controlled access, 2+ carriageway environments, automatic
for interstates on the mainland and Hawaii.
trunk = Limited access dual carriageway (ie, has surface junctions, maybe a
few driveways, but way fewer than a primary would have), essentially a
motorway where not all the junctions are ramps.  Also fully controlled
single carriageway highways ("super two" type routes like the Chickasaw
Turnpike for example).
primary =  Major boulevards generally; automatic minimum for US highways.
secondary = More minor boulevards; automatic minimum for paved state
highways.
tertiary = Feeder roads that get enough traffic to warrant permanent lane
channelization (ie, there's paint on the ground, but that's about it);
automatic minimum for paved county routes.
residential = Residential ex/sub/urban streets.
unclassified = Equivalent to residential when abutting landuse is generally
rural or nonresidential.