[Talk-us] Need advice on a project i've taken on

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Jun 11 03:21:23 UTC 2017

On 6/10/2017 10:51 PM, Jason Remillard wrote:
> It is my opinion that removing imported non standard tags is
> almost always ok.
>
> It has been 10 years since tiger was imported, any effort to maintain it
> should be welcomed. We own it now, no script is comming to automatically
> update it.
>
> You might want to run it as an automated edit.

  I agree that removing the non standard tags is almost always OK.

  What is the advantage of removing them all with an automated edit?
Their presence doesn't damage anything, and editors can add those tags
to their passive removal list.

   The TIGER name expansion resulted in a large benefit by removing a
manual task.   Changing unused tags would only add to the history file
for a small benefit.