[Talk-us] Best practice in Lane Editing 2

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 20 11:43:05 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 10:44 PM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>
wrote:

> Judging from the markings, that is a turn lane shared by both directions.
> You cannot legally use it to pass a car in the main driving lane, you can
> only use it to make a left turn. Lanes of this type are nicknamed "suicide
> lanes", because of the possibility that vehicles going in opposite
> directions may try to use it simultaneously, resulting in a head-on
> collision.

Suicide lanes are something else: They're passing lanes in both directions,
not continuous bidirectional left turn lanes.  Historically, they were like
the reversible left turn lane, only with a dotted yellow line and no solid
line.  Neither direction had right of way.  This concept is, as far as I'm
aware, obsolete in the US.  Typical configuration is now 2+1, with the
center lane being one of the two lanes for the uphill direction, signed
KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS, with one downhill lane and the centerline
indicating the downhill direction can use the center lane to pass.  With
the mass repave-the-entire-state push Oregon recently completed, I don't
think even the historical remnants of these (where you could still see the
faded remains of the former suicide lane yellow stripes) remain at this
point (whereas previously you could see hints and traces of the old yellow
line where the white line is on the uphill side is on Oregon's 3-lane
highways).